The original leather helmet. Handcrafted to meet today’s performance requirements. All Sales FINAL. No returns or exchanges will be accepted.
Individually hand fitted, hand shaped, hand stitched, and hand trimmed to meet today's standards. With over 170 years of experience to draw upon, Cairns manufactures a 100% leather helmet that sets the standard for traditional style helmets. The Houston helmet retains the same authentic look and quality that generations of firefighters have relied on. The durable handcrafted leather shell will last for years with minimum maintenance. And like all of today’s Cairns Fire Helmets, the Houston is made with the added protection necessary to meet modern standards of safety in the firefighting industry.
FEATURES & BENEFITS:
- Hand crafted 100% leather shell
- An engineered impact cap of high-temperature rigid urethane foam with a tough Lexan outer dome and an ABS inner liner. Provides advanced thermal, impact, and penetration protection. Designed to increase protection at the sides where it’s needed most.
- Cairns' six-way overhead strap suspension system reduces shock transmission at the top of the helmet while providing a snug, comfortable fit.
- Sateen cotton liner with leather brow patch sewn to high density foam backing around the entire circumference of the liner
- Soft black Nomex chinstrap with one-hand quick release buckle and postman slide allows quick and easy adjustment.
- Three-position, rear-ratchet height adjustment ensures a secure and comfortable fit, with or without SCBA gear, for all head sizes
- Jumbo earlaps for increased neck coverage and protection.
- Larger diameter helmet hanger fits on larger hooks and racks.
- Insurance against fireground damage with Cairns 5-year shell replacement warranty.
Crafting begins with the shell:
- New Yorker and Houston shells are constructed of top-grain steer hide and impregnated with a natural resin system, which is sealed and over-coated with a colored high-luster finish system.
- The crown is hand-sewn to the one-piece brim section. Showing attention to detail in every stitch, the brim is embossed with original fire service vine pattern.
- The thermal impact liner is then installed within the leather crown. The thermal impact liner dramatically increases the levels of protection where you need it most.
- Cairns six-way overhead strap suspension system reduces shock transmission at the top of the helmet while providing a deep, comfortable fit.
- Complete your unique helmet with the comfort pad kit supplied with every helmet. Use of these pads provides a superior fit and feel that do not come in a typical fire helmet.
- 100% top-grain steer hide
- High temperature-resistant urethane foam
- Lexan outer dome
- ABS inner liner
- Sewn-over wire reinforcement
Traditional styling with these clear bourke eyeshields. Bourke eyeshields exceeds US-OSHA (CFR 1910) NBSIR-1977.
Helmet with Bourkes does not meet NFPA specifications for Structural Fire Fighting.
Eye Protection Combinations (Goggles with the Bourke eyeshield):
CairnsTuffshield offers superior thermal and scratch resistance, with an ASTM-D648 melting temp. of 345ºF. It’s the standard faceshield on all Cairns Traditional and Deluxe Configuration Helmets. Cairns faceshields come with wing protectors made of the same fire-proven non-metallic material found in Cairns faceshield hardware for extra face protection and added strength and stability at high temperatures.
ESS Innerzone 2 Goggles
Made especially for Cairns. This sleek, low-profile, NFPA-compliant goggle is designed to fit comfortably over most prescription glasses. The high-temperature frame allows fast lens replacement. Patented Speed Clips make strap adjustments easy, even with gloves on. The snap-on/snap-off mounting system consists of a simple low-profile post. Goggles can be used alone or with a faceshield. They can stored on the front or back of the helmet, or quickly removed, as desired.
Premium Configuration Includes:
- Carved brass eagle 6-inch front holder
- Black Nomex Earlaps
- Leather/Satin Liner
Exceeds US-OSHA (CFR 1910) NBSIR-1977. Helmet with Bourkes does not meet NFPA specifications for Structural Fire Fighting.
Natural leather color DOES NOT meet NFPA specifications for Structural Fire Fighting.
Sizes: Medium: 6-1/2 – 7-3/8; Large: 7-1/2 –8.
6" Leather Fronts are sold separately.
Make it YOUR Helmet!